Electrical Service & Panel Upgrades

Our licensed electricians can upgrade or replace your electric panel or box with industry leading brands. Give us a call for all of your electrical needs!

Call or Text 203-823-7312Get A Quote

100 Amp to 200 Amp Upgrades

New Electric Panel Installation

Residential Electrical Service Upgrades In CT

Older homes used to be able to get away with having lower services, typically 60-100 amps, based on their needs. With more modern technology and higher energy demands, the need for greater than 100 amp services is more and more common.

100 Amp to 200 Amp Electrical Panel Upgrades

Upgrading to 200 amp service from 100 amp is extremely common in many homes in CT. With many homes utilizing natural gas in the area to heat their homes and utilities, having a 100 amp service may be enough. However, with modern electrical demands, the need for an upgrade to a 200 amp service is more common.  This is done in an effort to make y0ur home run more efficiently and to not overwork your current service, which is safer.

How Much Does It Cost To Upgrade To 200 Amp Service In Your Home?

The cost of upgrading to a 200 amp service in your home can vary depending on what is needed and the current state of the service that needs to be upgraded. There are a number of factors that determine the cost of a 200 amp service upgrade such as:

  • New panel installation
  • New meter installation
  • Material costs
  • Additional electrical work and time

For an accurate 200 amp service upgrade quote, contact us today.

60 amp services were common in older homes that did not have as many electrical demands as a modern home. Most 60 amp services have been upgraded over the years to 100 or 200 amp services based on code compliance.  60 amp services are not safe in modern homes, and in most cases, insurance companies will not insure a property with a 60 amp service.
Like 60 amp services, 100 amp services are used in older homes.  While it is an upgrade over a 60 amp, a 100 amp service might not be enough for modern needs.  This is not a major cause for concern as long as you have a home that uses gas appliances, dont have central air or heating, and are under ~1600 sq. ft. The on;y issue with 100 amp services is that they have fewer circuts compared to a 200 amp service.
Most modern homes have either upgraded to a 200 amp service or were built with one to meet modern energy demands.  Compared to a 100 amp circut, a 200 amp circut has a higher capacity, allowing for more energy use in your home.  This makes your home’s energy service much safer and allows you room to grow in the future if you’re upgrading from a 100 amp circut.

  • More power to meet electrical demands
  • Makes home safer – fire dangers from old, insufficient panels and other components are eliminated
  • Ability to run all appliances safely


  • Initial cost
  • Inconvinient – no power in the house during projet
While some electrical work in your home is safe to DIY (if you know what you’re doing), something like a service upgrade is not something a homeowner should ever do on their own. While we’re all trying to save money where we can, hire a licenced electrician to help with your home’s service upgrade project. Here are a number of reasons to hire an electrician for your service upgrade:

Safety (#1 priority): Wiring installed incorrectly may catch on fire and cause detrimental damage to your home


Knowledge of codes and procedures: Licensed electricians are up to date on current codes and standards


Tools & Equipment: Electricians already have all the tools and equipment needed for the job


Experience: All residential electricians have done service upgrades numerous times, so they are fully aware of what goes into performing a service upgrade safely


Connections & Contacts: Electricians have a network of connections which allows them to get parts and materials at a lower cost and faster


Training: Licensed electricians are required to undergo regular and consistent training on the latest codes and standards, and are up to date on newest information and parts.


Insurance: A licensed electrician is fully insured and if something goes wrong with the job (in your home), their insurance will cover any damage caused. If you try to do a service upgrade yourself and something goes wrong, your homeowners’ insurance may not cover the damage, leaving you on the hook for all costs, and you’d still need to get the service upgrade finished.

With all that said, it’s highly recommended to hire a licensed electrician for your home’s service upgrade project.  If you need more information or are looking for a service upgrade quote, contact us today, and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

  • Flickering lights
  • Breakers that constantly trip or fuses that frequently blow
  • The need to turn off one appliance to use another
  • Melted electrical wires
  • Defective circuit breakers that fail to trip, resulting in shocks, overheating, and fire
  • In short, old electrical panels result in danger to your family and property resulting from fire and electrical shock
  • Crackling sounds from your panel box
  • Corrosion or rust on the breakers or pane
  • Overheating electrical service conductors
  • Appliances running at less than full power
  • Two pronged (non-grounded) outlets
  • Your home is not equipped with GFCIs (ground fault circuit interrupters) in necessary areas
  • You find yourself frequently seeking extension cords
  • You need surge arrestors to protect the appliances in your home
  • Your home was built with, and still runs on, a 60 amp electrical service.
  • Your home uses a fuse block panel or split-buss panel (electrical panel with no main breaker)
  • The 100 amp electrical service in your home is insufficient for operating necessary appliances
  • The renovation of your home, particularly the kitchen, which is appliance-heavy
  • You are adding a home addition
  • Addition of a major appliance:  central heating & air, stoves, spas, garage power equipment, etc.
  • You need more outlets in your home
  • To meet homeowners insurance requirements
  • You’re in need of a 240-volt circuit
  • You need to add a sub panel
  • Home is older than 20 years old

Electrical Service Upgrade FAQ’s


What Is An Electrical Service Upgrade?

An electrical service upgrade refers to making sure your home’s electrical service is up-to-date and up-to-code. The right size electrical service helps not only keep your home safe but adequately provides the electricy you need to properly run appliances and other energy consuming aspects of your home.

A service upgrade often means that an existing fuse box needs to be replaced with a more modern panel with breakers. Or, if your home is already equipped with a breaker box, but the amperage is too small, it is old and outdated, or you simply need more power for your home, an service upgrade (typically 100 amp to 200 amp) is necessary.

In regards to a full service upgrade, this involves replacing the pipe on the outside of your home, the wires inside that pipe, the meter, the wires going from the meter to your panel, the panel itself, the breakers inside the panel, and updating your grounding system with ground rods, communication ground, water ground, etc. As you can see a “full” service upgrde is a large undertaking, but is often no needed.

If you have any questions about your home’s existing service and are unsure if you need to upgrade, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to inspect your home’s current service and educate you on what would be best given your situation!


Is A Service Upgrade Necessary?

If you’re even considering an electrical panel upgrade, then odds are you already need to do it.  When it comes to asking if you should upgrade your electrical panel, the best thing to do is speak to an electrician about your home’s electrical needs, and they can give you a better idea of what type of electrical service upgrade is needed.

Even if your current electrical fuses aren’t blowing or your breakers aren’t tripping, your system may still be out of date and overworked, which is potentially dangerous.

If you are considering an electrical service upgrade, call us for a free estimate and we can certainly give you an honest opinio about your home’s electrical service and future needs.

What Size Electrical Service Do I Need For My Home?

As discussed earlier, the most common electric service sizes for homes are 60 amps, 100 amps, and 200 amps. Due to electrical demand and because our homes use more electricity now than in the past, 60 amp services are no longer considered up-to-code.

Because 60 amp services are outdated, it’s not unheard of that insurance companies will require a 60-amp service be upgraded at the time of a home sale prior to insuring the home for the new owner.

100 Amp Service

While 60 amp services aren’t too common anymore, 100-amp services are sufficient for smaller homes that use gas as a heating source for appliances such as water heaters, dryers, furnace, and stove.

200 Amp Service

If you have a home that uses electric appliances (water heater, stove, dryer, etc.), you have or want to install a hot tub, your home is larger than ~1600 square feet, etc, it would be recommended to upgrade to a 200-amp service if you do not already have it. In most instances above, your home should already have a 200 amp service, but if it does not, we can help.

If you’re unsure what type of service your home needs, our team can help you make the right decision based on your home’s current and future electrical needs.  Contact us today to discuss options!

How do I know I need a service upgrade?

The power company is responsible for maintaining the lines running from power pole to power pole or underground, to your house. After the point where their line touches your house, it is your responsibility to maintain. Some signs that you need a service upgrade are: you hear buzzing near your electrical panel, you have fuses in your electrical box, you have many wires under each fuse or breaker, your breakers trip and won’t reset, your panel is full and you want to add more circuits, there is visible rust on or in your panel, there is fraying of wires feeding your panel, the exterior pipe or meter are damaged or falling, you have a 60-amp service, or if your electrical service is more than 20 years old. There are dozens of electrical codes dealing with electrical services that have changed in the last few decade! This is all to improve safety and keep up with the ever increasing demands we put on our electrical systems.


What Else Is Typically Upgraded At The Same Time?

Common things that are done at the same time are whole-house surge protection. This helps to prevent electrical surges caused by lightning strikes and blown transformers. It helps to protect not only your electronics, but also the wiring itself within your home. Another common thing to do at the same time is to install or prep for a home backup generator system. Portable generators or on-demand generators can be added at the same time as a service upgrade to make sure you are never powerless! Ask for more information during your free estimate.

Is A Permit Needed To Do An Electrical Upgrade?

Should you upgrade an electrical panel without a permit? Never. You could even get fined for not getting one. Also, the inspection process and accompanying pass will give you peace of mind. A reputable electrician will not skip the permit process. It may cost more and take longer to have inspections done, but in the end, it will ensure the electrical upgrade is done correctly and will operate safely. That alone is worth a million bucks.

Contact Us Today To Discuss Your Home’s Electrical Service Needs

Call Now For A Quote